Wastegate mod.....

avos at cochlear.com.au avos at cochlear.com.au
Mon Oct 13 05:36:40 GMT 1997

     Simon,

     I think that the boost controllers do basically what you want to do,
     but have one advantage over your system. You may be able to get your
     system to provide a good boost curve by playing with the comparator
     settings, but you will be optimising for one set of conditions. ie.
     you may perform you tweaking with light load (first gear), when boost
     rises quickly, so you need to start to open the wastegate quicker (at
     lower boost). This will give you good boost in first gear, but may
     open the wastegate too early in higher load conditions when boost
     rises slower (as revs rise slower). The Electronic boost controller
     can calculate when to start to open the wastegate by looking at the
     gradient of the boostcurve ie. if it is rising quickly (1st gear, or
     on-off-on at high revs), open the wastegate earlier. if boost is
     rising slowly, hold the wastegate closed longer (5th gear up a hill).

     Ideally you would want to optimise your settings for the situation
     where boost rises quickest, as otherwise you could over-shoot to
     catastrophic boost levels in these conditions if you optimised for
     slower rising boost conditions. I think that the situation of quickest
     rising boost is if you have high engine load, and high revs, and then
     back off (close throttle and reduce boost) and floor it. As boost
     recovers it should rise really quickly due to already in high revs and
     high load, so alot of exhaust gas going through the turbo.

     One other advantages that electronic boost controllers have is
     accurate setting of boost, but I don't think this is of concern to you
     since you don't intend to adjust the boost from the wastegate setting.

     Basically I agree that EBCs are over-priced, but they do have
     advantages. I think they optimise the boost curve better than any
     other method of boost control, but you can probably do 95% as well for
     alot cheaper using mods like the one you suggested.

     Regards,

     Adrian