Diacom cable for GM

George Hoefer ghoefer at mail.ibl.bm
Mon Oct 13 23:11:24 GMT 1997

To Steve and the List,
        I to have the Diacom plus software and I believe the red wire on the
cable is needed when the car can not supply power for the serial to parallel
converter circuit that is built into the molded connector. The car link is a
serial signal type, and the PC computer end of the cable connects to the
parallel port on the computer. On some years of GM cars the power was not
available at the ALDL plug so Diacom made their cable flexible enough to
adapt to all conditions. Hope this helps.

Regards,

At 09:02 AM 10/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I purchased the Diacom diagnostic interface (GM) kit back in '92. It
>runs under DOS and has been worth the $200 or so I spent on it.
>The supplied cable, which connects your RS232 to the ECU (ALDL) has a
>red wire for 12VDC input. Recently I discovered the system works with,
>or without the 12VDC connected. I had always assumed there were active
>components molded into one of the connectors; now I am wondering if its
>really just a hunk of wire, with connectors on each end. Anyone know?
>Steve

George Hoefer
1966 and 1990 Corvetttes