Radiator Cap

Paul Tholey pft101 at psu.edu
Tue Oct 14 00:50:31 GMT 1997

>What difference does the rate of flow have to do with heat transfer ??
>Like I said, seems to me that it's totally irrelevant as long as the
>liquid stays in contact with the metal -- in fact, seems t'me that the
>faster the better, since that keeps the delta-T at it's highest !!
>
>At this point, I pronounce the ads by the rad makers "HOKUM".  Now,
>someone prove me the idiot that most have long suspected  ;-)
>
>Tom Cloud
>
>   Warning, dates in calendar are closer than they appear !

Tom,

        I maybe way off, and reply if so, but the whole flow rate being
faster, better?>  The coolant doesn't magically cool down when it hits the
radiator.  There is the chance of the coolant not staying in the rad long
enough to cool.  That is why there are restrictor plates.  This may also be
true when trying to cool the block.  If the coolant passes through too fast,
then it won't properly cool the block.

Paul Tholey
pft101 at psu.edu