Twin Turbo Update... (10/13)

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at cliffy.lmtas.lmco.com
Tue Oct 14 16:31:18 GMT 1997

Paul Raley wrote:

> >   The easiest way to build the headers will be to use Weldels. These are
> > pre bent pipe pieces that you weld together to make something :)
> > Callaway used it for their twin turbo vette, but they are damned heavy!
> > The other option is using T-304 SS tubing, but then I have to mandrel
> > bend everything.
>
> Is T-304 SS a light weight stainless steel tubing?  I used tubing found at
> the electrical contractors warehouse.  It seems to be slightly lighter then
> exhaust pipe, cost about $9 for a 18" 90degree bend, the matching pipe is
> really cheap.  It is lite weight so I had trouble welding (I'm not that good
> yet) it up.
> My preference would to have an aluminum piping to move the hot gases, but
> don't know where to find it.  Does anyone know where I can buy aluminum
> piping?  My 300ZX is using 2 1/8" piping, but my next project will be using
> a larger diameter pipe (the intercooler is going to be huge!).
>
> Paul

It would be an interesting experiment to see how many seconds at full
load an aluminum exhaust header would last.  That ain't a good idea. I
don't think.  If you walk around a pit area at a road race, you are not
going to see any aluminum headers, even on a naturally inducted cars.

Stainless steel is light weight when it is thin.  Too thin and the heat
and cool cycles will cause the metal to grow and shrink and then
fatique.  If the parts you found are slightly lighter than regular
exhaust pipe then maybe it's strong enough.  I don't have the time to
research this at the moment, but if someone with a better material
science background doesn't step up to the bat, I'll try to look up the
optimum stainless type for hot work.

More later,

Joe Boucher
'70 Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban