Radiator Cap

Terry Martin terry_martin at mindlink.bc.ca
Thu Oct 16 23:43:55 GMT 1997

Dan wrote:
> somebody else brought
> up about hot water freezing faster than cold water.  I have a hard
> time believing this is really true.  Can somebody explain?

It's not, at a constant volume. If the hot water is allowed to discharge
heat by evaporation it also gives up mass. If both bodies were contained
in a sealed container, hot water has to give up energy until it reaches
the energy state of the cold water. In other words, cold water has a
head start and will reach a given temperature at the same heat loss
rate, but sooner.

There is a variable which is disolved gasses.

Terry