Op Amp 101

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 17 13:09:50 GMT 1997

>A70Duster at aol.com wrote:
>>
>> You can smoothen out the rumpity idle by placing a vacuum canister between
>> the manifold and the MAP sensor.  Only heard of it being done, never tried it
>> myself.  Any ideas of dimentions out there.

>If it works, the bigger the smoother. However, too big would cause a lag
>in response. I would think something between a pop can and a juice can
>should be a good start.

I forgot to respond to that part -- if I'm understanding the question
correctly, we're trying to "integrate" the signal from the MAP.
This is done just by the "inductance" of the vacuum hose -- i.e.
it's diameter and length .... smaller diameter and longer length
will act like an "inductor", or "muffler", if you will, to dampen
the pulses into a small cannister -- or the sensor cavity itself.
A larger hose will act like a reservoir, but it will also allow
the pulses to move with less restriction.  What you want, IMO, is
something akin to an L-C network -- the tubing is the "L" and the
sensor cavity or any supplemental reservoir is/are the "C".  Then,
as mentioned above, you have to find a happy medium (is this a seer
that sniffs glue ??) between smoothing/integration and signal delay.

Tom Cloud

     Madness takes its toll   .....   please have exact change