rad and coolant

Johnny johnny at johnny-enterprises.com
Sat Oct 18 20:47:36 GMT 1997

Robert Harris wrote:

> Course if you use the available ceramic coatings for piston crowns, valves,
> ports and chambers, plus the manifolds, Dave Vizard claims about a 10 %
> increase in power and economy plus it has the effect of significantly cooling
> the intake charge and reducing the detonation - to the point he claims its
> possible to run an 11 to 1 street engine on 91 octane.  This is because much
> less heat makes it to the metal to be wasted in cooling.  This with a little
> filling of the blocks bottom would work wonders without complicating shitting
> on multiple cooling systems.  Just my obnoxious .02$ worth.

This is no doubt the truth, and goes a long way toward confirming basic
engine theory, which in an over simplified view says that an engine is a
furnace and the more heat (energy) you can transfer to the crankshaft
the better. The kinda sad part of all this is that even with EFI/DI,
exotic coatings, coolant tricks, any practical fuel, and great pains
taken to minimize any other losses along the way, the majority of the
energy in the fuel still goes out the tailpipe, radiator, and where ever
else to heat the great outdoors.

-j- (I'll be keeping that in mind next time I am burning the tires all
the way to the next gas station ;)