No Start 2.8L MPI V-6 Lives!

Ferrill, Jess B bferrill at amp.com
Mon Oct 20 12:52:15 GMT 1997

I contacted the efi list for help last week on my daughter's GM 2.8L V-6
which would not start.

My thanks to Peter Paul Fenske, Steve Parkman, Michael Palmer, Steve
Ochs, Steve Ravet and Shannen Durphey who all responded with good
suggestions.  As several suggested the problem was in the ignition
module, which even though it was providing a healthy spark was not
sending out the required Reference signal to the ECM to "fire" the
injectors.  New module ($82 at Autozone, $85 at Advance Auto) and it
lives again!

A tip if anyone has to remove the ignition module:  Don't bother trying
to remove the three 13 mm hex head bolts that attach the module mounting
plate to the block (the bottom one can't be reached anyway <g>).
Instead just remove the six 5.5 mm hex head screws that hold the three
coils to the mounting plate.  The coils also hold the ignition module to
the plate, maiking it easier to swap.

Again my thanks to all who responded,

Britt Ferrill
bferrill at amp.com