Bosch KE-Jetronic convertion to EFI332...possible?

Orin Eman orin at WOLFENET.com
Tue Oct 21 17:25:59 GMT 1997

> I'm interested in getting a better more efficient fuel system for
> my vehicle. It is a 1990 Audi Turbo (known as the 200 in the USA).
> It is a 5-cylinder 2.2 litre 3-speed automatic front-wheel drive
> machine. From the Haynes books I see they indicate the fuel system
> to be a Bosch KE-Jetronic system. It is still mechanical and uses
> constant feed injectors. The ignition system is fully electronic
> and uses a Hitachi unit (with a mass of pins!) to mimick the workings
> of a real distributor.

Which particular Hitachi ECU is it?  Is it a MAC14?

> So, I'm on to this EFI332 system now thanks to one of the members of
> this mailing list. And, although I've just become prime bait for
> flaming, I find it necessary to send this sort of message to the
> list in order for me not to waste a lot of time only to find out the
> EFI332 is the wrong choice for my system. In this regard I have some
> questions for the members of this mailing list:

> 	1. Anybody done a Bosch KE-Jetronic conversion to EFI332?

No.  But I might.  A member of the quattro list has done a conversion
to a commercial EFI system.

> 	4. Can an idiot computer scientist like myself easily get to
> 	   grips with this system?

Software isn't too hard.  I can give you a disassembly of an earlier
Audi (Hitachi) computer.  Haven't got a decent listing of the
dual knock sensor version yet.

> 	5. How easy would it be to dyno-tune this EFI332? I intend
> 	   fitting a variable fuel rate / fuel pressure fuel pump.

Don't know, but not really different to tuning any engine with EFI332.

> 	6. Can the system (the ignition system) cope with fancy things
> 	   like Nology HotWires and Silverstone spark plugs?

Why bother, the stock ignition is fine, just use NGK BP6ET triple
electrode spark plugs.

> Just a note, this turbo has almost everything monitored that I think
> would be necessary to convert. Also has 2 knock sensors and a turbo
> boost pressure monitor (well, if it displays boost electronically while
> I drive, then I assume it has a monitor on the turbo).

Engine temperature, intake air temperature, RPM (flywheel teeth),
timing (62 degrees BTDC on Cyl 1), hall sensor on distributor
to identify cyl 1, 2.0 bar manifold pressure sensor in the ECU...
I'd use the signal conditioning in the orignal ECU to convert
to EFI332.

> The more I look at the EFI332 system the more I like it. It beats
> blowing US$500 on a rechipping of my electronic ignition unit only to
> get some 10kW more power.

No need to spend that much.  You can gain 40 hp (on US models) with a simple
pressure regulator and a 27128 (assuming you are able to unsolder
the original and program the new one with an increased fuel pump
cutoff table).

Finally, you should ask the non-EFI332 questions on the quattro list
(quattro at coimbra.ans.net, majordomo at coimbra.ans.net to subscribe).

Orin.