Newbie

James Weiler james at brc.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 21 21:24:16 GMT 1997

On Sun, 22 Oct 1995, bohblesku wrote:

> Hi,
> The coolant temp resistor is variable so I can crudely adjust the mixture
> from cabin (tricking computer into believing engine is still cold
> theredfore running rich etc) Is this not a common thing to do? I picked up
> this little trick off a friend, it seems to run ok, is there another way
> this can be done. (the whole thing was a $10 mod!)
> :o)

Well the basic problem is that your EFI system probably has on oxygen
sensor.  This will give feed back info to the ECU, so the ECU will know
it's running rich and there by lean things out so you're right back where
you started.  The gain will come at WOT when the O2 sensor can't send
info fast enough to the ECU so the computer ignores it.  Do you have an
O2 sensor?

About your Celica, across the pond our Celica's of this vintage were EFI
already.  Bosch LH to be exact, well the Nipondenso version of it.
Perhaps you might want to consider a simple swap of parts.

welcome
jw