Newbie

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 22 12:31:02 GMT 1997

>On Sun, 22 Oct 1995, bohblesku wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> The coolant temp resistor is variable so I can crudely adjust the mixture
>> from cabin (tricking computer into believing engine is still cold
>> theredfore running rich etc) Is this not a common thing to do? I picked up
>> this little trick off a friend, it seems to run ok, is there another way
>> this can be done. (the whole thing was a $10 mod!)
>> :o)
>
>Well the basic problem is that your EFI system probably has on oxygen
>sensor.  This will give feed back info to the ECU, so the ECU will know
>it's running rich and there by lean things out so you're right back where
>you started.

I think most, or all, ecu's run "open loop" (i.e. ignore the ego)
during cold start and wot.  Problem, as I understand it, is that
the ecu will retard the spark for cold start also.  Perhaps he
has found an in-between state where the spark is not retarded and
the unit is still running open loop.

Tom Cloud

     A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.