talltom "talltom(SPAMBLOCKER)" at espace.dcl.com
Wed Oct 22 13:09:59 GMT 1997

From: Gerard <gerard at poboxes.com>

I get about 12.5 litres/100km out of this thing in town driving and
about 10.5 on the highway (at about 150km/h). I've been looking at
rechipping the thing, but all that can be re-chipped is the ignition
system since the fuel injection is still mechanical.

So anyway, the nicest thing to do would be to convert the entire
fuel injection system to electronics (EFI) and then program it.
The EFI machines have better consumption and still beat the mechanicals
for power and drivability.
----
Oh is that right.
-----
 Also, having it in EFI form would be nice
if I decide in future to introduce nitrous-oxide, that way the mixtures
and timing and be altered dynamically for the best use of the NO.

----

Hehehe!!! Order plenty of engines!!!

-----

So, I'm on to this EFI332 system now thanks to one of the members of
this mailing list. And, although I've just become prime bait for
flaming, I find it necessary to send this sort of message to the
list in order for me not to waste a lot of time only to find out the
EFI332 is the wrong choice for my system.

---
Well to save my time, being as you seem to ignore anything I said
previously, I'll just sit back and watch.
----

 In this regard I have some
questions for the members of this mailing list:

        1. Anybody done a Bosch KE-Jetronic conversion to EFI332?
---
no.
---

        2. Anybody done a conversion to an Audi?
----
Does Nox on a water VW come close enough?
----
        3. What sort of workload is involved in KE-EFI332 conversion?
----
Compared to modifiying what you have it's kinda like reinventing the
Cray.
-----
        4. Can an idiot computer scientist like myself easily get to
           grips with this system?

:-)

        5. How easy would it be to dyno-tune this EFI332? I intend
           fitting a variable fuel rate / fuel pressure fuel pump.
====
With nitrous?? And you think you're going to computer control the fuel
for the nitrous???? Let's just say this ought to be amusing.
-----
        6. Can the system (the ignition system) cope with fancy things
           like Nology HotWires and Silverstone spark plugs?
???

If anyone has done a Bosch KE-Jetronic conversion then I'd like to
hear about your project. :)
====
I modified a ke to a k, and then modified the k to meet my preferences
for the cam and nitrous on a VW rabbit, that kicked a 94 corvette's butt.
One wild assed ride!!!:-)
-----
Just a note, this turbo has almost everything monitored that I think
would be necessary to convert. Also has 2 knock sensors and a turbo
boost pressure monitor (well, if it displays boost electronically while
I drive, then I assume it has a monitor on the turbo).

The more I look at the EFI332 system the more I like it. It beats
blowing US$500 on a rechipping of my electronic ignition unit only to
get some 10kW more power.

---
Course you wouldn't be willing to grind about $5 worth of springs
from the local hardware store amd replumb some vacuum lines worthwhile
to get the same effect.
----

Hope to hear from someone on these topics...

Thanks.

G.