rad and coolant

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Wed Oct 22 23:02:09 GMT 1997

Wouter de Waal wrote:

> >Only some of the later model engines use dual-acting or bypass
> >thermostats. Toyota used them in the early Tercels, and Renault used
> >them back in the little R12 - how much farther back I cannot say, but
> >American engines up until very recently used standard, single acting
> >stats, depending on pump pressure differences to make the water ignore
> >the bypass hose when the stat opened.
>
> I would say that an open thermostat would provide a different back-pressure
> than no stat at all. And this would cause the water to maybe not ignore the
> bypass hose. Leading to those cracked heads when the stat is removed.
>
> This is pretty much what I was getting at in the first place - rather rip
> the guts to turn the thermostat into "open all the time", if you remove the
> stat you upset some delicate pressure/flow balances.
>
> Making sense?

Definitely - but it still makes more sense to use a thermostat. The
stripped out stat will not cause overheating, but overcooling can be
just as serious. Trust me (I know, who trusts a mechanic, or a used car
salesman?)
--
                             _/\_

Remove the R from E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys