electronic engine temp control

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Thu Oct 23 01:39:09 GMT 1997

The best off the shelf solution mechanical is to use a headder and connect
several heater control valves in series. Use solenoids valves to open them
in stages via a simple electronic control system. In theory, one could
probably hold the temp at 218F or so reguardless if the engine is idling or
crusing 75mph. I noticed that my engine temp drops at highway speeds. Don't
know how much... just that it does. I also know that the coolant system is
quite capable of operating at 230+F without any problems or modifications.
Does anybody have some fuel consumption vs engine temp data for an 89' GM
350 TPEFI?

GMD

At 05:51 AM 10/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Well it would seem to me that with all the computer experts around here
>somebody would come up with a control valve that could could be
>programmed for whatever usual running temp, with a switch of some sort
>for a performance mode that would run temp down to 160??
>

>-----
>

>From: "George M. Dailey" <gmd at tecinfo.com>
>Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 19:03:51 -0500 (CDT)
>Subject: Re: RE: rad and coolant, TPEFI related
>
>I can vouche for this personally, I got "smart" and put a 160f thermostat
>in
>my GM TPEFI and it fell flat on it's face as far as economy goes. Put the
>195f back in and magic, no problem. Now I have thoughts of running it
>right
>at 219F, just below fan turn on temp. A kind gent sent me some info on
>just
>what it takes to run at the high temps. He mentioned a guy that ran an
>engine temp of 250 or 300F, I think. The main problem was he had to use
>100%
>pure ethylene glycole with no water what so ever. Water would flash to
>steam
>and create abnormally high radiator pressures.
>
>Aint it cool'
>GMD
>
>----

George M. Dailey