rad and coolant, TPEFI related

Boucher, Joe C joe.c.boucher at lmco.com
Thu Oct 23 16:59:47 GMT 1997

>I tried digging out my old glycol tables so I could be exact, but
>it is necessay  to dry the glycol completely.  You do not want to
>deal with the vapor pressure of a mixture containing water, only the
>glycol.  There will be violent boiling of a mixture at 250 F and
>cooling system pressures.
>John Carroll
>jac at wavecom.net

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

There is a company called Mecca Cooling Company.  They sell a propylene
glycol based cooling system with 0 pound pressure caps.  The propylene
glycol boils at 300 degrees f.  If I remember right the specific heat
of  the propylene is lower than water but the delta t makes up for it.
Claims are no hot spots in the combustion chamber so compression of up
to 12.5 to 1 is possible on pump gas.  Any water, one tablespoon of
superheated water fills a lot of space, is bad, so the overflow line has
a desiccant in it.  You have to purge all water from the system.  MECCA
claims you can't use Sierra from Pep boys because the additives can't
handle 300 degrees, so you have to buy his for $25 a gallon.

I only know of one person who used the system (rich guy with too much
time and money) in a big block '65 Vette drag only car.  Said the
temperature
stopped spiking after a run on the return drive to the pits.

If the cooling qualities were true, think of the efficiencies you could
get out of a feed back EFI system on a motor running 12 to 1
compression.  Yee Haw.

Joe (I believe in perpetual motion) Boucher