V6 TBI Vesrus V8 TBI

Terry Martin terry_martin at mindlink.bc.ca
Mon Oct 27 21:49:02 GMT 1997

steve ravet wrote:

> Hlynur Tomasson wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your input,
> > The truck I'm dealing with is 1992 Astro Van. My plan is to buy a new
> > 350/350 for the Astro. At this moment my main concern is the setup for
> > the TBI, witch components I can recycle from the V6 4.3L engine & what I
> > have to buy additionally.
> > Are you saing that the computers are identical V8 & V6?
> > Are you building your engine from scratch by some special recipe? Please
> > tell me more about your setup.
> > H. Tomasson
>
> Have you seen the JTR swap manuals?  They have a chapter about this
> exact conversion.  They claim it's the easiest of all because there is
> plenty of space, and everything is easily accessible.  Check out their
> WWW page, www.jagsthatrun.com
>
> --steve

I haven't followed up the reference, but I can say that I put the ECM
from a '91 Camaro R/S 5L into my '92 Safari van for testing. I didn't
attempt to start the vehicle, but operated the ignition to run to bring
up any trouble codes. I deliberatley altered the PROM and it ID'd the
right trouble code, and cleared the trouble once the PROM was restored.
I inserted the PROM from the Safari into the Camaro ecm and got a PROM
fault. I would guess that since I still have a working vehicle the ecm's
are identical. There are two big onboard ROM's that I suspect may have
to be altered, (see Ludis Langens post), and possibly blank contact
positions in the connectors and wiring harness may have to be installed
to handle the extra cylinders, etc.

Terry