GM TPS and Lockup Converter

Boucher, Joe C joe.c.boucher at lmco.com
Tue Oct 28 18:54:11 GMT 1997

I discovered a link between the TPS and the lockup converter on the '89
truck TBI system I installed on my Suburban.  The converter unlocks when
the throttle position is at idle.

Whipped into an electrical frenzy by this list, I took some 1 watt LED
lights I bought at a swap meet and wired up indicator lights for the
A.C. compressor (if it cycles too fast the system needs freon), the
lockup converter (couldn't tell when it was coming on and why not do it
if I could), and the check engine light (long story why I didn't have
one).

I thought that once the converter locked up, actuating the brakes or a
slow speed signal would unhook it.  Every time I allow the throttle to
close no matter what speed, the light goes out and I can tell the
converter unlocks.

With all the discussion about TPS's and what they do, I thought I would
add this little factoid.

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro   '81 TBI Suburban