Busted Temp Sensor?

Paul Raley raleyp at UDel.Edu
Wed Oct 29 13:12:53 GMT 1997

Joe Boucher wrote:

> I tested my temp sensor today with a resistance meter and came up with 0
> ohms.  According to my "Computerized Engine Controls" book most temp sensor
> resistance is high when the temp is low and low resistance when the temp is
> high.
>
> What is wierd is my symptoms are for a cold engine.  Easy cold start, hard
> hot start without holding the throttle in the clear mode and I can often
> smell gas without finding any leaks and my gas mileage sucks.

on my car (the nissan V6) the ECU will assign a value to the CHTS if the value
doesn't seem 'good'.  When cold the value is around 68F for 6 minutes then it
goes up to 176F (don't know at what rate though).  So if your doing a hot start
then you engine is still around 160F when the computer is incorrectly 'sensing'
it as 68F then it will obviously give you problems.

if you are reading 0 ohms then the senser most likely is bad (unless it has a
bad ground to the block).

Paul