In car power supply

Terry Sare Terry_Sare at dell.com
Wed Oct 29 18:14:52 GMT 1997

     I sent this directly to Mike but will add to list.

     Current in == Current out

     12V --> 5V out means you dump 7V at 800ma across the regulator. This
     is about 5.6Watts. Efficiency is about 20% on a linear. If you cannot
     handle that much power loss, you need switching types. Digikey sell
     power trends for about 18.00 that run about 90% eff. (I went to a
     power trend seminar the other day and got samples).

     Digikey:
     Page 153 of Catalog 974B Power Trend Integrated Switching Regulators

     Yes, this is a switching regulator about the size of a 7805T with heat
     sink. Self Contained, runs about 500Khz or higher. If you run any
     analog DA or AD, a low pass filter would take care of the noise. They
     have a web page at:
     http://www.powertrends.com/isr/index.html

     For your application, you might want a 1.5 or 2 amp version for a
     safety margin. About $18.00. a 1 amp version is $13.13 if you don't
     have any surge problems. Dissipation is around 1W with this part.

     Yes, I figured your real power dissipation was somewhat higher. The
     13.8 volts is nominal, you also have surges from 60-100V and reverse
     dumps. You need to protect any part with a diode (1N5406) in series
     with the input and a TVS to ground (SA20ADI->Diodes Inc) sa20adict-nd
     digikey.

     Terry
     PT5101A/78st105hc
     in ---- Diode -------------------- reg ----- out
     |      |     |         |
     TVS   .01uF  10uf     100uF
     |      |     |         |
     ground------------------------
     Note: this is off the top of my head -- actual values may vary. Get
     app notes from power trend for real cap. values.

     Author:  DRAINVILLE at paprican.ca at dell_unix Date:    10/28/97 4:48 PM

     Thanks for the reply.
     You mention 'power trend' in Digikey.
     I saw in Digikey DC-DC converters, is it the same. If not is it a
     switching type device?
     I'm dissipating 11W.
     When the car is running the voltage is at 13.8V * 0.8AW Mike