fuel filter fittings

sfg sfgent at ac.net
Thu Oct 30 01:37:16 GMT 1997

George M. Dailey wrote:

> SAE compression fittings are the holy grail you are looking for. I cut the
> tubing an inch or so before the GM fitting add the comp. fitting and you're
> ready to tie into any thing.
>
> GMD
>
> At 11:28 PM 10/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >--------
> >
> >I'm trying to use a stock GM fuel filter ('88 tpi Camaro) in my
> >efi engine swap, but I'm having trouble with the fittings.
> >These are the ones with the o-ring seals and seem to be
> >metric. Are these called siginaw fittings? I would like to
> >put this inline with the steel tubing, but I only have a
> >single/double flare tool. What's the best way to connect
> >this without buying a new flaring tool nor having a handful
> >of adaptors? (Anyone know, off hand, what one of those tools
> >cost?)
> >                                       John S Gwynne
> >                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu
> >_______________________________________________________________________________
> >               T h e   O h i o - S t a t e   U n i v e r s i t y
> >    ElectroScience Laboratory, 1320 Kinnear Road, Columbus, Ohio 43212, USA
> >                Telephone: (614) 292-7981 * Fax: (614) 292-7297
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >

> George M. Dailey
> gmd at tecinfo.com
I share the same dilemma re GM FI fittings (filter and
fuel tank fittings) I agree, the SAE compression end of the
fitting you suggest that we use will connect with the tubing,
after we cut off the GM OEM flare. The other end (to the
fuel filter) is metric, and is designed for use with an
O-ring. I have had no success finding correct fittings.
It is possible, as I am doing now, to use 1/4-NPT with
lots of teflon tape to go into the GM filter. It's a kluge
though. I have added a Mallory FI pump on the frame rail
at the fuel filter location ('87 Blazer) and would like
to plumb it properly, without cutting, taping, or sliding
hoses onto flares. GM dealer, NAPA, Earls....all, no joy.
I suspect I'll make fittings from brass rod stock on lathe
if no one can get GM part numbers.