compression fittings 101

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Fri Oct 31 05:00:09 GMT 1997

Well gents, just like every thing else, there are low end and high end
fittings.

First off, compression fittings are fittings that you put naked tubes into
an simply tighten them down to seal them leak tight. You got unions to unite
tubes. 90degree unions, straigt unions, and other angled unions. Then there
are the adapters. These have a comp union on one side and a different type
of fitting on the other. Like a male or female NPT, an AN fitting, you name it.
There are also size adapter unions like 3/8" to 1/2"

The auto supply store has a good assortment. They usally keep in the
back...for the true professionals ;)

Hardware stores stock compression fittings in their plumbing section.  Don't
let the experts tell you they wont work.

Even the conglumorant called Wallmart carries the basic sizes of compression
fittings. They even have chrome plated ones, but they are junk. The chrome
causes them to gall. They look nice on trailer queens though! Hold your
purse guys, the brass fittings range from $0.99 to $20.00 each.

On the high end of compression fittings, you have the Swage lock type of
fittings. True industrial grade hardware for the supercritical power plants
and nuclear reactors.  These things are a beauty to look at. They are usally
polished high grade stainless steel with prices in the 20 - +$100.00 EACH range.

Hope this helps you.
GMD

At 05:44 PM 10/29/97 -0800, you wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, George M. Dailey wrote:
>
>> SAE compression fittings are the holy grail you are looking for. I cut the
>> tubing an inch or so before the GM fitting add the comp. fitting and you're
>> ready to tie into any thing.
>>
>> GMD
>Sounds good, could you tell us more about these fittings?  Where can we
>find them, how much etc., etc.
>jw

George M. Dailey
gmd at tecinfo.com