fuel filter fittings

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Fri Oct 31 08:26:36 GMT 1997

sfg wrote:

> Shannen Durphey wrote:
> >
> > sfg wrote:

> > > I share the same dilemma re GM FI fittings (filter and
> > > fuel tank fittings) I agree, the SAE compression end of the
> > > fitting you suggest that we use will connect with the tubing,
> > > after we cut off the GM OEM flare. The other end (to the
> > > fuel filter) is metric, and is designed for use with an
> > > O-ring. I have had no success finding correct fittings.
> > > It is possible, as I am doing now, to use 1/4-NPT with
> > > lots of teflon tape to go into the GM filter. It's a kluge
> > > though. I have added a Mallory FI pump on the frame rail
> > > at the fuel filter location ('87 Blazer) and would like
> > > to plumb it properly, without cutting, taping, or sliding
> > > hoses onto flares. GM dealer, NAPA, Earls....all, no joy.
> > > I suspect I'll make fittings from brass rod stock on lathe
> > > if no one can get GM part numbers.
> >
> >   Yesterday I posted that I would try to get the number of any tool which GM
> > recommends for making metric flares.  Today I am saying that I will try to get fuel
> > fitting/line part numbers.  I will, I will, but if I don't post them within a couple
> > of days, remind me, as we are 1 mechanic short today and I've been pretty busy.  Now
> > if I can remember to look at my list tomorrow...
>
> Thanks. I'm sure there are many list subscribers who can use these part
> numbers.
> While you're looking....see if you can find the fittings associated with
> the
> 3 lines at top of fuel tank. These are "O-ring" compression, same as
> fuel filter.
> GM dealer here could not locate these.  Thanks, Steve

  Well, bad luck so far.  At this point I haven't been able to find any "generic", or
unbent tubing with these type of flares, and the fitting are not available seperately.
If you need a fuel line from GM, it looks like you have to buy it for the specific make
and model.  And no tool numbers, as I haven't found any tools.  But I'm not giving up
yet!!  Also, from time to time I've seen postings on this list from someone who works for
GM Powertrain div.  I wonder if GM Powertrain outsources these fittings.  If they are
really called Saginaw fittings, maybe I'll have to find a number for Saginaw division.  At
last! a true challenge.