CDI, accelerometer

Stuart Baly S.Baly at BoM.GOV.AU
Mon Sep 1 01:09:15 GMT 1997

Dick Smith is at http://www.dse.com.au
The kit is called "Multi-spark Capacitor Discharge Ignition" - it
hasn't got the part number in Dick's ad. It costs $95.50Aus. ($1Aus = approx
US75c).
I'll quote some stuff from the article:
-"We do not recommend using the system on six cylinder and V8 engines
unless you can improve the lead dress of the spark plug leads so that
each lead is more widely separated from its neighbour. Nor do we
recommend using this CDI on any car with an engine management
computer. We take the attitude that the factory designed ignition
system will always be optimum for the particular car."
-Usable to beyond 1000 sparks/second
-Regulated 300V supply for consistent spark energy
-45mJ per spark
-Spark separation approx. 0.5ms
-Number of sparks per firing (V8 figures - 10 sparks at 750rpm falling
to 2 sparks at 7500rpm)
- Spark duration approx 200 microseconds
- Will work down to 5V battery voltage (needs at least 9V at startup
to start inverter)
- Multiple discharge can be disabled if necessary

The circuit uses an IR2155 IC to drive an inverter via two MTP3055E
MOSFETs. Another IR2155 is used as an oscillator to do the multispark
thing using two IRF822 MOSFETs to do the firing.

Stuart.
Stuart Baly (s.baly at bom.gov.au)
Technical Officer
Cape Grim Baseline Air Pollution Station
'71 Datsun 510, '81 Yamaha RD350LC, '89 Kawasaki GPz900R