Magnetti Marelli EFI system programming.

Chris Wilson chris at maximum-bhp.u-net.com
Mon Sep 1 21:16:22 GMT 1997

Hi all.I am a bit of a lurker here,trying to learn what I can,but I have
an unresolveable problem,at the moment.

I have bought a Reynard Formula 3 single seater,with an Alfa Romeo 2 litre
F3 twin spark engine.(A Novamotor unit from Italy).Novamotor use a
Magnetti Marelli ECU to operate the injection and ignition,but on first
glance it looked very much like a Weber Alpha system.I understand
these,and have access to the interface and software for pulling the
map,and modifying it.

To my annoyance,I am told that only Novamotor Italy have the software to
mess with this Magnetti Marelli system,and being in the UK,this is
somewhat inconvenient... :-)

Am I stuck with the map it comes with,or is there a way to paly with this
ECU?

If it is a no hoper,what might I replace the ECU with,that would allow
_me_ to re map the sytem on _our_ dyno,with sensibly priced software and
interface,and yet leave as much of the rest of the system intact? At a
glance we seem to have air inlet temp,throttle position,water temp,crank
position.maybe distributor position,and maybe a knock sensor.

TIA for any info on this set up !

--
            Best Regards,  Chris Wilson.

             Gatesgarth Racing Developments