O2 sensor grounding; was RE:O2 sensor 4wire

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Tue Sep 2 19:29:58 GMT 1997

>> > I saw that someone mentioned a Ford 4 wire O2 sensor.
>> > Is there any sensors/brands that would offer me an alternative to
>the
>> > Toyota 4 wire sensor I have to replace this week?
>> > Thank you
>> >

>> My recollection is that a 4 wire is power and ground for the heater ,
>> groundfor the sensor, in case the exhaust system is "floating" and the
>
>> signal for the sensor signal.  A well grounded 3 wire should work, or
>use
>> the sensor ground to ground the exhaust.
>
>When I first thought about this thread on 4 wire EGO's I thought, "why
>would you need that? just use the exhaust as ground"  Then I got to
>thinking about how my exhaust is grounded (not well) and I'm thinking
>maybe I should convert my retrofitted GM TBI single wire O2 sensor
>to a multi wire sensor with a dedicated ground (I have been getting
>some intermittant 02 sensor faulty errors from my ECM, but I thought
>it was just freakin out).  So let me ask this stupid question: does
>this ford sensor puts out the same 0 to ~1V signal as the GM?  Does GM
>not make
>a multi-wire sensor?  What is the cost of the ford sensor?
>
>oh and one last stupid question: do all injectors use the 18 X 1.5mm
>thread?
>
>TIA. and BTW, even with the off topic messages, I love this list!
>
>Greg Woods
>gwoods at sytmx.com
>austin, tx
>86 cherokee w/GM TBI

Sensor output will be the same. As for price, I have not checked, but at a
swap meet last month a guy had somewhere around 100 of the dang things for
$5 each!!. I almost bought a couple, didn't, and am now kicking myself.
Taken off of propane or CNG conversions, if memory serves me correctly -
virtually brand new, sans box. 18X1.5 appears to be as close to a standard
as you will find.