Daihatsu EFI

Webb cwebb at polarnet.com
Tue Sep 2 19:49:11 GMT 1997

I just got ahold of a nice little car for basically free (traded
for it). It is a Daihatsu Charade (88). The problem was that it
bent a valve when it broke a timing belt. The previous owner had
pulled the head, then decided he didn't know what he was doing
(he did a good job of saving parts)

I got the factory manual (best I've ever seen), and my impression
is that the little 3 cylinder, MPFI is very impressive. The
controller is made by "Denso" and controls spark as well as EFI.

Everything is simple, easy to find, work on, and understand.
There is no noticable internal wear even though it has over 100K.

I notice that this really neat EFI unit is batch fire. I had
assumed that commercial units would go to the trouble to do
sequential. What percentage do, and how much advantage is it?

Does anyone know anything about this unusual model (they seem to
be popular in Australia)?