Weld-L's

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 4 12:13:16 GMT 1997

>>so ..... has anyone tried brazing or silver soldering ???  I'd
>>think the brazing would hold up quite well but would suspect the
>>silver solder -- esp if in a bend on the outer curve where it
>>gets the direct blast from the exhaust.  The advantage of the silver
>>solder is you can work with stainless (don't need heli-arc)

>Doesn't work.  Well, worse, it does work for a while, then it fails.
>Typical mild steel exhaust has to be fusion welded or it will crack.  I
>also has to have slip joints for expansion, and must be suspended just
>so, or it will crack.
>
>Silver-soldered stainless is an interesting idea I've never seen used,
>have no idea if it would work.

silver soldering stainless is the only way I know to join it
other than heli-arc .... it works okay, in my experience -- though
that's limited and there are probably alloys that it doesn't work
well with ... dunno.  My problem is that it seems it would ablate
away until a leak occured -- esp in a bend in the direct path
of the exhaust flow             ???

Tom Cloud

       All generalizations are false (there are NO absolutes)