why is rich better for power ??

Johnny johnny at johnny-enterprises.com
Sun Sep 7 05:34:45 GMT 1997

Robert Harris wrote:

> Check the FAQs,  http://www.landfield.com/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part2/
>
> Check 4.13 for octane and autoignition temps.  In general, as the
> weight of the molecule increase (i.e. heavier), the octane and
> Auto Ignition Temp (AIT) decreases, the exception being the
> aromatics - which are being phased out by law.
>
> It isn't the burning speed that matters in antiknock/octane (see 6.3)
> it is the autoignition temp so I presume you meant to say the slower
> igniting molecules have the higher octane.

Oh, you're going to let me off the hook that easy? OK, I'll bite. Yes, I
thought that you were refering to same when you were talking about
kindling and octane rating. I read the FAQ a long time ago... probably
forgot it all by now. So let me rephrase; It's not the burning speed
once it's lit, it's the rate and the temp at which you can get it to
light. ;)

-j- (there just isn't any good logs or kindling at the pumps anymore)