Mis-Fire Dectection

Dave J. Andruczyk dave at scarlet.buffalostate.edu
Fri Sep 12 13:42:08 GMT 1997

> With the Chrysler engines I have heard they look at torque pulses to
> determine misfires.  Again, how do they do it?

Well this isn't directly related to the chrysler system.  But there is a
feedback addon for carburted cars that uses a hall effect sensor that
looks at the flywheel teeth,  a misfire will cause a change in angular
velocity of the teeth, ( and thus the pulses outputted by the hall
sensor).  A change in angular velocity (assuming no other inputs to the
engine are changing) will show a misfire.  If the computer had other
position input info ( cam position/crank position) the computer would
probably be able to figure out which cylider misfired.

Dave