carb vs. efi

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 12 18:34:03 GMT 1997

he'p me out here .... have a friend that's a died-in-the-wool
Holley carb fan and thinks I've made a big mistake going to efi
(I'm not racing)

He's an engineer, has worked as a mechanic, owned a speed shop
and raced for a number of years, so I regard his opinion.

He argues that no top racer (NHRA is his game) runs efi.  I admit
that's probably right, but the reason isn't because it's not better,
but rather that it's too danged difficult to change at the
track ....

what do the Formula 1 guys (and others) do ??

Like I say, he'p me here ....

 - he says he feels the carb gives better atomization -- and I
can see that a constant fuel flow rather than pulsations might
(though the pulsations are at high pressure)

 - the efi gives better fuel control, I'd think, though that may
not be important for racing

 - clearly port injection gives better fuel distribution -- but,
at 8 to 12 k does it matter ??

  ???? anyone ??

Tom Cloud

    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you !!