TPI Questions

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Sat Sep 13 07:29:02 GMT 1997

Once upon a time Popular Mechanics or Popular Science
or do it your self whatever had plans for a You too can build it steam engine
based on an air conditioning compressor.  Had this strange vision of picking up
heat from intercooling, water, oil, whatever and converting it to work powering
this engine - either coupled to the crank or
driving accessories.  Freon seemed like a nice working  fluid back then.  Never
got around to building one and now have no clue where to get the plans. If the
working fluid could "boil" might still be worth investigating and a "steam
engine" would make a damn decent cooling system.

And BTW I'm jealous.  When I was pushing H2O a year ago I got my ass fried.  I
now wear asbestos pampers whenever I post.  But now for the real number 2 in
the fan, look at a GM 350 diesel - the one based on a gasoline block.  Pick
whole car up for peanuts.  Insane thought.
Drill head for snapover valve. Time pump so that injection snaps over at about
20 degrees after TDC on power stroke. Combustion's over - but massive heat.
Make bo koo steam rat now.  Peak gasoline pressure about 600 PSI at about 2000
degrees.  Steam at 444 makes same 600 psi.  Use all that heat about to be lost
out the exhaust to drive the piston down as an open cycle steam engine. Use the
diesel throttle regulator to control the amount of water injected.  Mix
machinist water soluble cutting oil with water and should have enuff
lubrication and anticorrosion to have reasonable pump life.  This would make
Terry proud.  Direct Cylinder Injection - only we use water to make the extra
power.

Of course I could just be puffing donuts from my - but then I have been know to
do that too.

"When some one gets something for nothing -
             some one else gets nothing for something "

If the first ingredient ain't Habanero, then the rest don't matter.
Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>