fuel flow sensing

Jason Lewis krusty at zip.com.au
Mon Sep 15 02:12:31 GMT 1997

Larry,

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Lawrence S. Harris III wrote:

> is done on a line labeled DOL (Data output link).  The computer also has
> an input from the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and can thus calculate MPG.

Do you know how the Vehicle Speed Sensor works? I am currently working on
a system that uses magnets fixed onto the drive shaft, and a hall effect
transistor. The problem i have found is that the shaft tends to move
around quite a bit (in relation to the rest of the vehicle). As i have
mounted the hall effect device onto the underside of the car, it
sometimese cannot sense the magnet becaues the drive shaft is too far
away. I haven't had a second attempt yet (with longer magnets/stronger and
moving the hall effect device closer) but i was wondering if there is
some other way that i should maybe try.

Thanks

Jason