Muscle Car Fuel Injection

Michael Skolones michaels at telerobot.com
Mon Sep 15 23:27:26 GMT 1997

--IMA.Boundary.879563478

     Check out Accel's web site.  There is a fuel injection catalog you can
     download in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format, and if you need a reader you
     can get one there as well.

     If you are short on patience but have a some cash to play with you
     might try using Accel's parts; I haven't tried them myself, but they
     have interesting stuff.  All of their fuel injection components are
     geared towards muscle cars. I'm thinking of using them (someday) on a
     331 Hemi.

     They sell a bushing kit that you can use to have a stock 360-4bbl
     manifold altered to multi-port fuel injection configuration.
     Essentially this involves drilling holes down near the intake valves,
     welding or epoxying in the bushings, then grinding off the excess
     bushing from the inside of the runners.  The bushings accept standard
     Bosch-type fuel injectors, I believe.

     Now for the throttle body, Accel makes a big body that is a
     replacement for the GM/Ford bodies used on their newer FI V-8's; it
     will attach to a 4-bbl manifold via a Holley bolt pattern (may require
     an adapter, I can't remember, but there is a way).  Otherwise you can
     get a GM or Ford throttle body out of a junkyard and adapt it somehow.

     For the control system, Accel has several configurations of an ECM,
     depending on whether you want it to work independently of the ignition
     or not.  Computer-controlled ignition is another big ball of wax, so
     you might want to go with Chrysler electronic ignition and an
     independent fuel injection computer.  I've heard that the Accel ECM
     will run you around $1000.   The Accel computer can be programmed
     using a PC via serial cable, so I've been told. These systems are
     based on manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensors, rather than the
     mass air flow (MAF) sensors found on typical Bosch and similar
     systems. Supposedly MAP systems have poorer low-speed driveability
     than the MAF systems, but do better at higher-end performance. (Just
     hearsay on my part, ask around).

     For closed-loop control you will also need to fit an oxygen sensor
     onto the exhaust manifold or header.  The choice of what type of O2
     sensor (heated or non-heated, etc) may be dictated by the Accel
     computer design and wiring harness.  From what I've read you'll need a
     "heated" type O2 sensor if you are using headers, for they do not
     retain enough heat to keep the sensor warm enough to operate properly.

     All in all expect to spend a few thousand to get a working FI motor.

     On the other hand, if you have some money to play with check out the
     fuel injection systems used on the Magnum V-8 motors used on the
     neat-o new Dodge trucks.

     Mike Skolones