Spark timing,points/Hall effect

Mario Tito mario at swingbridge.com
Wed Sep 17 16:54:11 GMT 1997

>It took me a while to think this one up, but given enough
>time I might be able to come up with something:-)  What's
>the question?
>
>Jim Boughton
>boughton at bignet.net

   I have a question in stock spark timing. Looking through the Bently
manual for my 2.0L VW air-cooled, compression 8.5:1, 125psi(looks low,
compared to others on the list), and there are a few different
distributors over the years of engine changes, like size change,
different enviroment laws, etc., with different advance curves, and idle
timing, which all make some sense. BUT in the California engine, they
used a Hall effect sensor ignition, the ignition timing was changed, what
seems to me, drastically. My point- and-condenser system works best at
stock 7.5deg BTDC at idle, ported vacuum advance (I'm not sure of this
term- the vacuum port is blocked by the throttle plate at idle position,
and uncovers just off idle. Right?). The earliest timing at WOT (no
vacuum), 3400 RPM, is 28-32 degrees BTDC. Ported vacuum starts at 80-130
mmHg, ends at 200mmHg, advancing 8.5-11 deg.
   The Hall Effect Ignition is set at 5 deg ATDC at idle, with vacuum
advance and retard diaphrams. Total advance at WOT (no vacuum), at 3600
RPM is only 16-20 degees BTDC. The Bently manual is suprisingly lacking
in where these vacuum signals come from. But WOT has no vacuum, right?
Vacuum advance and retard both start at 60-120mmHg, ends at 240mmHg, and
both change timing 11-13 deg. The Advance has a 'cut- off' which enables
it only in fourth gear or if air temp is below 54F. This cut- off system
is described only in the older dual- vacuum point system, but I guess it
applies to this as well.
   The year prior to mine, with points and two vacuum chambers, is
roughly the same as the Hall- Effect system.
   Does anyone have a clue as to why in a mostly equal engines (the cali
does have a cat converter), this difference exists? Am I missing
something?
  Perhaps a discussion will help Tom C. as well.
  Thanks

Mario T.
mailto:Freshmar at aol.com-----'76 VW Camper FI A/T,,'79 Fiat X1/9