Spark timing,points/Hall effect

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Thu Sep 18 00:57:58 GMT 1997

	You answered your own question.  The California engine has a catalytic
converter.  The dual diaphragm Bosch distributors used ported vacuum for
the advance but manifold vacuum for the retard.  At idle, the distributor
is in full retard.  At cruise, the retard diaphragm has no effect because
its function is to move the zero vacuum stop in the vacuum can assembly
towards the retard side.  When there is vacuum pulling some advance, the
position of the stop does not affect the advance.  When there is no vacuum
advance (idle) moving the stop does provide more retard.

	Non catalytic cars had retarded spark and very lean mixture to get low
emissions.  When a catalyst was added, emissions were even lower and the
engine could be tuned for efficiency.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>