Injector"spray"vs.evaporation

Shannen Durphey Shannen at mcn.net
Thu Sep 18 08:11:44 GMT 1997

----------
> >> A number of years ago, I read about a "Hot Vapor" engine
> >> that Smokey Yunick designed and developed with the intent of selling
to the
> >> auto companies (none of them bit though - pity).  This system ran the
> >> air/fuel mixture through a manifold that circulated the engine water
around
> >> the charge and then passed the charge to another manifold that the
exhaust
> >> system ran around (can you say _dangerous_ here) and then dumped the
charge
> >> into the cylinders though a carb.  The mixture was around 400 to 500
> degrees
> >> F when entered into the chamber and fully atomized.  He was getting
(if my
> >> feeble memory serves me correctly) about (150 HP and 50 mpg)
> >
> >( three-cylinder sprint engine.)
> >
> >is there any thing in print of how he did this??

There is some in print, but I can't remember where I saw it.  It's not in
my books.  Smokey used a Pontiac Fiero for the mule with a 2.5l engine.
Smokey claims the reason for keeping the intake charge under pressure is to
keep the rapidly expanding gasses contained in the engine.  The homegenizer
served to keep the fuel/air mix consistent. If you want to talk to the
source,  call Smokey's Automotive Service, 957 North Beach St. Daytona
Beach, FL 32117 (904) 254-0838 :)