Measuring dynamic cylinder pressure

Zublin, Bryan (SD-MS) BZUBLIN at nlvl.com
Thu Sep 18 16:39:38 GMT 1997

"Shannen Durphey" <Shannen at mcn.net> wrote:

>Wouldn't it be easier to use a compression gauge?  after all, all the other
>changes (cam, intake, headers, etc.) will be hands-on, nuts&bolts changes.
> <snip> headers, cams, and intakes often make more difference at higher
rpm.

I guess I wasn't clear.. the idea was to *run* the engine with the pressure
gauge installed, so that measurements could be made at various engine speeds
and flow rates.  The cylinder with the sensor would have it's spark *and*
fuel injector disabled, so it is only flowing air.  So you would be running
on one fewer cylinder for the test.

>I know that cranking compression readings are in no way indicative of
>performance level.

See above.

Bryan Zublin
bzublin at nlvl.com