DIY_EFI Digest V2 #326

Jake jerkey at anet-chi.com
Fri Sep 19 12:06:06 GMT 1997

> I've seen a number of K-jet installations where the cold-start injector
> has been disconnected to stop fuel dribble from it.  Does the control
> box not turn it off properly?
> - --
> Chris Morriss
>
> 	Don't know? It seems to work just fine now.
> 		BRAAP

There is no computer in a K-jet car.. except the box which converts
oxygen-sensor voltage to duty cycle for a single "injector" which
regulates control pressure in the fuel distributor, which operates
hydro-mechanically. The cold-start injector is triggered by the wire
leading to the starter solenoid. the cold-start injector's negative side
is connected not to ground but to the Thermal Time switch, which screws
into the coolant jacket and provides a ground only below operating
temperature. A heating coil causes it to "give up" if the cold start
injector is activated for longer than ten seconds to prevent flooding, if
the starter is cranked for too long.

If for any reason the cold start injector doesn't get power, the car will
NEVER start unless you spray carb cleaner in the intake. The "choke" which
is a thermally-activated fuel pressure valve which changes the fuel
delivery to airflow curve, but it doesn't change the fact that no fuel is
delivered until the engine kicks over. The exception to this is that if
the engine is warm, no cold start injection is needed and everything is
"ready to go" meaning you can pop the clutch while rolling out of your
driveway and your engine will start.

Jake