carb vs. efi

Greg blu at bitstream.net
Fri Sep 19 17:06:50 GMT 1997

I know I am kicking a dead horse here but Robert hit the jackpot, there are
pros and cons to both injection and carbs. What is more important is your
total vehicle setup and which one works for your application.
I have three vehicles that I push to their limits, a '69 big block Vette
that I have tried both efi and multiple makes of carbs and have found that
they all work equally in their own settings. This vehicle has run 11.5 et's
at 123mph at the strip with very little modification, but the best time was
with a Quadrajet of all things because of the manifold design and closed
chamber heads. Now I also autocross this vehicle and in that application
the efi setup rules. I also have a '74 International Scout II half cab that
has a 258 straight six, it had a barn burning 1 barrel carb that I switched
to a Clifford efi setup, best thing I ever did to the vehicle cause now I
do have more power, reliability, and I don't have to be a trottle jockey on
those cold winter mornings. I also have a '93 Escort with a 1.9 efi setup
and again it rules in everyday commuting and the autocrossing I do with the
vehicle.
The moral of this story?
Be knowledgable about your setup and goals for it, this forum is great for this.
do not fall into that ever growing percentage that assumes efi=perfomance,
this is not always the case.
Now before I get flammed for my 2 cents worth understand that I love both,
they both have their place and anyone who says one or the other is "the
only" choice is limiting themselves to very small "Disney" world.
I think we all have had the experience of knowing someone who put a "3/4
inch" racing cam and a big ol' "mega pumper" carb in his rust bucket and
says it will blow the doors off anything on the road. thats when it does
actually start and stays running long enough to back it out of the
driveway!
its the total combination of parts you put into the project, mismatch them
and you get a real "dog". Do the homework and get a matching combination?
Hold on 'cause your going to be doing the time warp again!

Greg

Don't tell me what I can't do,
                  Be afraid of what I can!