DIY_EFI Digest V2 #328

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Sat Sep 20 17:58:11 GMT 1997

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Jake wrote:

> >      The whole question is silly anyways; I'm sure that if you tried hard
> >      enough you could get equal performance out of Q-Jets or Holley carbs
> >      if they are rated the same CFM and sufficient fuel were supplied.  And
> >      likewise I doubt that "all" hot rodders "couldn't" understand Q-Jets.
>
> I happen to think that the reason people generally prefer Holley (or
> similarly designed edelbrock) carbs is because it takes LESS effort to
> make them work. No one said it's IMPOSSIBLE to work a quadrajet, but why
> bother with the extra effort if a holley is so much simpler?

As we are giving opinions in this discussion, my opinion FWIW, based on
considerable experience with both types is that the reason Holleys are
more popular is the name, and its association with racing. Both are okay,
and I have not experienced any fundamental or significant difference in
the difficulty of setting up either type. Holley 4150/4160s are of course
much more prone to leakage due to there construction.

Jim Davies