Humidity

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 23 22:04:35 GMT 1997

>Water, used in more than a modest amount, has the unfortunate tendency to
>absorb more heat from the combustion process than it returns in increased
>expansion of the working gasses.  This means that except for countering other
>bad things, water generally does no good.  The increased humidity - increased
>power effect most people observe is probably the reduced temperature induced
>air density increase. For most engines the pressure should peak about 15
>degrees and by about 20 after top dead center the fire is out.  The only hope
>for "free" energy that I can see is to inject water a la diesel directly into

I really didn't want to get into this postulation session, but
I'll bet any motorcycle rider out there will tell you that you
**definitely** have more power on hoomid days -- and it doesn't
matter what the temp !!  I think the reason it's more obvious on
the motorcycle is it's fewer cylinders -- dunno.

I think this apparent power increase is due to humidity -- not
water ..... now I really do know that humidity and water are the
same things but I believe that 70% RH is probably a lot different
than injecting water into the combustion chamber .... i.e. we've
gotten way off what was originally asked .... so, I'd still like
to know why I have more power when it's humid ??  (yeah, I know,
it's my i-magic-nation   8^)

Tom Cloud