Humidity

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Wed Sep 24 02:40:18 GMT 1997

>>Water, used in more than a modest amount, has the unfortunate tendency to
>

>I really didn't want to get into this postulation session, but
>I'll bet any motorcycle rider out there will tell you that you
>**definitely** have more power on hoomid days -- and it doesn't
>matter what the temp !!  I think the reason it's more obvious on
>the motorcycle is it's fewer cylinders -- dunno.
>
>I think this apparent power increase is due to humidity -- not
>water ..... now I really do know that humidity and water are the
>same things but I believe that 70% RH is probably a lot different
>than injecting water into the combustion chamber .... i.e. we've
>gotten way off what was originally asked .... so, I'd still like
>to know why I have more power when it's humid ??  (yeah, I know,
>it's my i-magic-nation   8^)
>
>Tom Cloud

No, Tom, it is not your imagination. The "cloud" of humidity holds more
oxygen than dry air. This oxygen-dense air gives more efficient combustion.
The racing crowd loves cool, damp, spring and fall mornings and evenings,
because that is when the records can be set. The cool is definitely a plus,
but cool dry days are not as good as cool damp ones- fur sure.