Q-jet in the 9's?

Paul Tholey pft101 at psu.edu
Wed Sep 24 05:28:20 GMT 1997

BEH,
        I do not follow stock eliminators or what ever you want to call
those that race stock motors.    I am a car enthusiast because I like to
build them and talk with others that like to do the same.  I have never head
of these cars running in the 9's.  I do know of a guy that races a stock
powered 69 Camero at 11.14 in the 1/4 mile.  The motor is a 350 and he says
that the carb works because it is done right.  His name is Ronnie Dicks.  He
is a supposed big name in his class and can be found at his home base of
Englishtown, NJ.
        Whenever I ask him about the "secret" to getting this stock carb to
work, he always responds the same.  "A Quadrajet, done right will out
perform any carburetor, aftermarket or stock, on the market today."  This
refusing to answer specifically what constitutes doing a Q-jet right is an
admission of guilt as far as I am concerned.  The guilt being that to do a
Q-jet right, it is no longer stock.
        Maybe these stock eliminators do run in the 9's.  I do question
then, why the HOT ROD Magazine Fastest Street Car Shoot-out had cars running
in the 9's when it first came out.  These cars had large ci. motors, and
nitrous/blowers etc.  Why were they both running the same times when one was
allowed so many more aftermarket parts.  Since then the cars have gone
faster, but that is not the issue.  The bottom line is,  Barry Grant began
making fuel products because there was nothing available on the market that
would help him go faster.  He then began making his own carbs based off of a
Holley, NOT a Q-jet.  The reason was because however much work that is put
into a Q-jet, the same amount of work in a Holley netted better results.

        Lastly I am not sure If you last sentence is a complement or a dig.
But I am used to arguing with people because of my age.  I am usually looked
at as a "snot nosed kid" when I speak with older car enthusiasts.  As with
the above mentioned Mr. Dicks, he will not even talk to me about FI because
it is new style techno-crap.  I feel that one must have an appreciation for
all cars and realize when one is being set in his ways or bullheaded.  Too
often people do not learn from such conversations and remain in ignorance
rather admit they may be wrong.
(this is not directed to anyone here)

Paul