Hijacking OEM hardware

alex nicu nicualex at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 01:26:40 GMT 1997

In my opinion , this takes a lot of time and the results can't be
predicted . An easy way ( I think ) it's to have a look on the hardware
, maybe more on the I/O buffers - interface betwen the uC and the engine
sensors , after that to scope the engine running in all modes , compile
the data , and with this results you can write a software for your uC to
do the same thing like the OEM device .
I was using the same way when I design my aditional fuel controller .
It's true that a complete ECU it's more complex that my AFC , but anyway
it's something . You write that you have experience in uC , so way to
lose time trying to decompile the oem software , better write another
one .
And for hardware point of view , way don't you use EFI332 project . The
332 uC it's many times faster then your 552 , and some parts are design
for controling the engine .
Motec ECU , which it's one of the best on the market , it's using a
motorola 32bits uC .
And , in my opinion , 8 bit it's not enough . Try to remember this when
you want to multiply or to divide big no with 8051 compatible (
conversion from no of impuls to  RPM ? ) .
Of course you can learn a lot from the OEM ECU , but to try to copy
everything , I think it's not the best way .
Alex
http://home.onestop.net/nalex