Using OEM (GM) ECM

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Sun Sep 28 11:17:07 GMT 1997

> >I'll help in any way I can, but I don't think I'm able.  I'm here for one
> reason,
> >to put inexpensive efi into non efi vehicles.

    <snip snip>

>  I'm not against learning the GM electronics the hard way. From an electronics
> perspective, I just have no idea where to start.I'm throwing my hands up in
> frustration.

> >    Shannen Durphey
> >

> >Hi Shannen
>
>         What is your project? Retro fitting efi to older vehicle is mainly
> modifying wire harness, re plumbing fuel system. This assumes that efi
> bolts right on to older eng - example tpi on to small block chevy. Setup
> will generally run pretty good without tweaking prom valves. Of course if
> ya want more ... ya will needed to adjust valves in prom.
>
> Vance

Thanks Vance.  Bolting a relatively stock EFI setup onto a relatively stock engine
isn't too much of a problem.  Two and a half years ago I installed crossfire
injection onto a 302+.040 chevy in a '57 pickup.  I ran it with a prom custom made
by Turbo City for $110 for a year and it isn't too bad, but there are some real
bugs in it during open loop operation.  The guys there said that they'd burn
another chip for an additional $50.  I'm picky, and when I build something I want
it to run without hiccups, flat spots, or sputters.  I don't mind paying someone
else to burn chips, but I can't believe that they will ever be able to get it the
way I want it from their shop in another part of the country.  So, I started
searching for more.

I've got other projects I'd like to do.  Custom pfi in my '79 Monte Carlo.  The
hitch?  455 buick and switch pitch thm400.  Sure I could keep the cam near stock
and bolt on a TBI from a 454 pickup, but what's the point?  The Q-jet works, and
works good.  How about a dual quad manifold on a 350 and twin throttle bodies from
2.8l V-6?  looks way cool, but doesn't have to be too far from stock.  Maybe
adapting 2.5l TBI to a 48 Willys jeep? there's more, too.

But I'm not going to try these without some way to adjust the fuel and spark
outputs from the computer.  And I'm on this list to find a way to do it.

Shannen Durphey