Compressed Natural Gas

Kelly Murray kem at franz.com
Thu Apr 2 02:03:08 GMT 1998

>..
> I saw a compresser at the Detroit North American Auto Show that is used
> to compress the natural gas that is piped to most urban and suburban
> houses and store it in the vehicle's CNG (compressed natural gas) tanks.
>..
> By the way, there are other advantages of using propane or methane as a
> fuel.  They have high octane values (I have heard 110-120 for propane,
> 130 for methane).

The high octane rating of CNG has got me thinking about
using it over methanol when running in a boost state.
This should allow a high compression ratio for non-boost conditions
when running on gasoline, such as freeway crusing,
and then flow the CNG when the boost comes in.
Only a small tank of CNG would be needed, not some heavy monster tank.
If the CNG runs out, just wastegate out the boost until you get home
to fill it up again from the public-utility natural gas supply
running off your CNG compressor.  Sounds like a plan to me!
Are the electronically controlled CNG regulators?

-Kelly Murray  kem at franz.com
  http://www.htrd.com/kem/efi.html -- needs up now for CNG!