High Temp Coatings in a Turbo

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Thu Apr 2 12:32:09 GMT 1998

>Would this stuff work on the turbine housing of a turbo?  Seems like
>it would if it works on headers, but I've seen pictures with the turbine
>red hot while I've never seen headers glow quite so brightly.  What is
>the temp limit for these coatings?

Please, either don't do this, or be very, very careful if you coat the
inside housing of your turbo.  A friend and I had done just that in an
attempt to keep it from glowing red under high use - and either we made the
coating too thick or the turbo's tolerances are extremely tight - the
turbine seemed okay when we assembled it, however on the car the thing made
loud noises for a very short amount of time, then we found that the edges
of the impellor had chipped and the inside of the housing was scraped (Jet
Hot actually).

Maybe a really thin coat ? Maybe not, we decided not to try again with the
replacement turbo.  This was on a Mitsu Starion.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car