High Temp Coatings in a Turbo

lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov
Thu Apr 2 20:24:09 GMT 1998

     Seems to me you guys are only looking at one side of this coin. There
     are also coatings available that are called "Heat Rejection Coatings",
     which actually enhance thermal transfer between the substrate and the
     cooling medium. I would think a coating of this on the outside of the
     turbo housing, along with a "light" coat of barrier coating on the
     inside (.0005-.001") would be the ticket for preventing heat transfer
     into the housing, and then rejecting the heat that does get in easier.
     BTW, I would think if you could apply it evenly, a light coat of TBC
     on the turbine would get rid of any problems caused by changing the
     expansion characteristics of one part and not the other (may also help
     to keep heat out of the bearings).

     TTYL!

     Larry Kurek