Marine FI was RE: Projection

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Fri Apr 3 19:19:28 GMT 1998

Greg Woods wrote:

> I also have a marine engine with a wet exhaust.  It's a 4.3L mercruiser
> which is basically a marinized GM 4.3L.  I've been thinking about how I
> could use
> a standard 4.3L GM TBI and ECM on this.  I'd have no O2, no EGR, no
> Smog pump and no spark distributer control:(.  The marine 4Di system
> sounds kind of tempting, but I'd like to try and go the lower cost (junk
> yard available) route of the GM stuff.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts about how I might adapt a GM ECM
> for this type of situation?  Will it run without all the above mentioned
> hooked up?
>
> Greg Woods        gwoods at symtx.com        Austin, TX
> back into lurk mode....

I've worked on two mercruiser 4.3 engines, one 4bbl, one
2bbl.  They used non-gm distributors, Ford ignition systems,
had non gm roller cams.  ECM can be installed and made to
run without too much trouble, but my 2 cents worth is to
keep it carb'ed and simple.  Don't know how big the lakes
are where you are, but we can and have been a long way from
shore and people when the boat broke down.  Not fun.

One item to note would be that the ecm usually used with the
4.3, the 1227747, is designed to be mounted inside a vehicle
and is not watertight.

Have fun, whatever you do.
Shannen