LT-1 questions from a beginner

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Fri Apr 3 23:25:22 GMT 1998

DAVE_HEMPSTEAD at HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com wrote:
>    2.  The headers will force me to move the knock sensor.  Can I relocate it in
> the block?  Does it matter which side I put it on?

For my S-10 V8 conversion I moved it from the block to a hole I drilled
and tapped in the motor mount.  The JTR swap manual said it was fine,
and as far as I know it is...

>    General question:   I'm sure I will need a scan tool.  How expensive are
> they?  I have an electrical engineering background, can I build one myself?  Is
> it RS-232 based?  I'm sure this will be a critical tool for me.

If yours has an ALDL connector, you can pretty easily make your own scan
tool to read the data.  It's an unusual baud rate, 8192.  The problem is
decoding the data packet that comes out.  Seems like every ECM uses a
different size frame, and all the bytes mean different things.  There's
lots and lots of ALDL info in the archives, spend a weekend or so
browsing and you'll come up with lots of stuff.

Can't help with the rest....

--steve

--
Steve Ravet